The Franklin College leave of absence policies are those set forth by the Provost, the University of Georgia, and the Board of Regents. This document explains how Franklin College faculty may apply for leave.
Faculty may request leaves of absence to take advantage of fellowship or grant opportunities, to pursue research projects, to hold visiting positions at other institutions, to seek professional renewal, and for personal reasons. The Franklin College especially encourages leaves of absence that allow pursuit of research and professional renewal. Such leaves are a privilege faculty earn through excellence in teaching, service, and research. They are recommended at the discretion of the unit head and the Dean following review of the faculty member's record, the reasons for the request, and the availability of resources. (See also Academic Affairs Policy Manual, "1.12 Leaves").
Educational and Professional Leave
A faculty member requests a leave of absence in a letter to the department head or director that includes justification for the leave. The unit head determines whether circumstances warrant granting the leave, including whether the faculty member's responsibilities can be covered adequately during the term of absence. Non-tenure-track faculty are not eligible for professional leave.
Leave requests involve the following steps:
- A one-page letter to the head that requests leave, explains the nature of the leave and its importance to the faculty member’s research (and teaching) program, and describes funding and awards. The letter should be accompanied by
- a current CV and
- supporting documentation, including award letters and/or other documents explaining the leave and sources of funding.
- If the head supports the leave request, he or she will work with the faculty member to complete Faculty Leave of Absence Request Forms A & B with all original signatures:
- Form A* – completed by requesting faculty member and unit head; please note the agreements you are signing on this form.
- Form B* – completed by the faculty member’s unit head.
- Submit forms A and B, the request letter, CV, and supporting documents to Sherry Gray by email, in one pdf, at email@example.com.
- The Dean will submit approved leave requests to the Faculty Affairs Office for review.
- The Provost has authority for final approval of all leave requests. Unit heads will be notified by e-mail of decisions on leave requests.
- Following approval of the leave, the department will request (if needed) replacement teaching funds using the Request for Replacement Teaching Funds form.
- The department files appropriate Travel Authority forms at least two weeks prior to the faculty member's departure from campus.
- Within thirty days after the faculty member's return to campus, he or she submits a written statement to the Dean and unit head describing what was accomplished during the term of absence.
Deadlines: Any request for a leave of absence beginning fall semester must be submitted to the Dean’s Office no later than February 1. Any request for a leave of absence beginning spring semester must be submitted to the Dean’s Office no later than July 1.
For a Personal Leave of Absence without pay (not FMLA related), please contact Sherry Gray (firstname.lastname@example.org) for specific instructions.
Reassignment of Location:
Please see the Provost’s website 1.12-3 Reassignment of Location.
Reassignment is defined as a change in work location and is usually permanent, at the request of the institution. Temporary relocation for research, field studies, instruction, etc. is no longer considered a reassignment of location. Leave for these purposes is now considered educational and professional leave.
Extension of the Probationary Period:
Leaves of absence and reassignments of location do not interrupt the tenure clock. See http://provost.uga.edu/index.php/policies/appointment-promotion-and-tenure/requesting-extension-of-the-tenure-probationary-period for University Guidelines on Requesting Extension of the Tenure Probationary Period.
Employment at Other Institutions:
If a faculty member wishes to request a leave of absence to take a temporary position at another institution, the terms of this temporary employment must be made clear when the leave is requested. Faculty are not authorized to be employed by other institutions without explicit approval from the College. The College does not approve requests for leave without pay for faculty who do not plan to return to the University.
Medical, Maternity, and Family Leave:
Faculty on academic contract as well as faculty on fiscal contract are responsible for reporting medical leave to their unit heads, who must keep accurate records of accrued and used medical leave time in the department and convey them to the College in accordance with established guidelines.
Click here to go to Academic Affairs Policy Manual, "1.12 Leaves."
Updated July 2021