Home to 620 full time faculty, including 293 professors, 214 associate professors, and 113 assistant professors, the Franklin College is comprised of 30 schools and departments among five divisions:
These divisions host internationally recognized faculty members whose teaching and research touches thousands of undergraduate and graduate students each year. The impact of Franklin faculty is as diverse as its many fields of study.
The Franklin Chronicles is the best way to stay in touch with the latest accomplishments of our faculty.
Franklin faculty members secured more than $51 million in external funding for research in fiscal year 2013.
- 54 of UGA’s 77 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellows
- 8 of 10 UGA faculty named to the National Academy of Sciences
- 28 Fulbright Scholars
- 31 NSF CAREER awards since the programs establishment in 1994
- 2 of UGA’s 3 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Nearly 50% of the institution’s total credit hours (fiscal year 2014)
- More than 4 times the total credit hours of the next largest college (undergraduate and graduate in fiscal year 2014)
- Degrees awarded in fiscal year 2014: 2441 bachelor’s degrees, 232 master’s degrees, 191 doctoral degrees, and 85 undergraduate majors
- 3 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 most popular undergraduate majors at UGA are housed within the Franklin College: Biology, Psychology, Art, Communication Studies, Biological Sciences, English
As Georgia’s flagship Arts & Sciences institution, Franklin is committed to supporting our students and their needs. Scholarships provide meaningful financial assistance for need-based and merit recognition of our talented students. Your gift makes a difference in the lives of students today and tomorrow.
Several ways to help faculty
Create a Named Chair - Minimum of $1,000,000
These funds provide additional support for a professor's teaching and research, including but not limited to salary supplements, equipment, academic leaves, research assistants, and travel.
Create a Named Distinguished Professorship - Minimum of $500,000
Income is used to support the work of a professor in developing courses, strengthening teaching and research, and other professional activities. Funds may be used for salary supplements, equipment and travel.
Create a Named Directorship - Minimum of $500,000
These funds recognize the appointment of a Director of a unit other than a School or College. This provides an unrestricted endowment for this position and will recognize and support the professional activities of the Director of this unit. The spendable income from this endowment may be used for any academic or administrative purpose in the Unit and is designed to advance the goals of that particular program. The title and endowment is retained with the director's appointment, and is relinquished by the individual when that person is no longer serving as Director.
Create a Named Professorship - Minimum of $250,000
Income is used to support the work of a professor in developing courses, strengthening teaching and research, and other professional activities. Funds may also be used for salary supplements, equipment, travel, etc.
Create a Named Research Fund - Minimum of $100,000
These funds enable the University to support outstanding researchers who conduct valuable research in critical areas.
Create a Named Departmental Support Fund - Minimum of $25,000
These may be restricted to a particular program or department. This category does not apply to scholarships.