Cortona Study Abroad Scholarships
- Please see the attached GUIDELINES for Summer 2020 Cortona Study Abroad Scholarships offered through the Franklin College.
- UGA Lamar Dodd School of Art Students should use this linked APPLICATION to apply for Summer 2020 scholarships.
- Transient Student Art Majors from other institutions should use this linked APPLICATION to apply for Summer 2020 scholarships.
SUMMER 2020 CORTONA STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE
Our deadline to receive your SUMMER 2020 scholarship application with all supplemental materials is:
5:00 p.m. FRIDAY 17 JANUARY 2020
How to Apply
Please see the guidelines linked above.
International Scholarship Fund
About the International Scholarship Fund
There are three different scholarships in this funding program. One application packet will allow you to be considered for all of these scholarships. Please note that these scholarships are only given once a year and are only available for students studying abroad during the Summer or Maymester.
Craige Global Fellows Scholarship
This scholarship is named in honor of its donor, Betty Jean Craige, University Professor Emerita of Comparative Literature and Director Emerita of the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts. A strong proponent of international exchange and collaboration during her 38 years as a scholar and teacher at the University of Georgia, Dr. Craige created this award in 2011 to encourage and support Franklin College undergraduate students who wish to participate in an official UGA study abroad program in a non-English speaking environment. Selection for this award is based on financial need, academic promise, and the applicant’s essay.
Tome Family Study Abroad Fund
Created in 2006 and named in honor of UGA alumnus Bill Tome and his family, Mr. Tome established this award to enable students in the Franklin College with limited financial resources the opportunity to participate in study abroad programs.
Cassandra Young and Jeffrey Sherman Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunity
Jeff Sherman and his wife, Cassy Young, have a passion for the University of Georgia and a special interest in study abroad and established this scholarship in 2008 to support study abroad opportunities for students in the Franklin College.
Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Any application not completed and submitted by this time will be ineligible for consideration. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all parts of an application are completed; therefore it is expected that the student will follow up with his or her recommender and the study abroad program director to ensure that their letters are provided in time to complete this application process. There are no exceptions to this deadline.
1) An applicant must be a non-transient, degree-seeking major in Franklin College of Arts and Sciences and have completed at least one semester as an undergraduate or graduate student in the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences prior to applying.
2) An applicant must be a student in good standing at the time of submission of this application as well as during any semester s/he is to receive scholarship funds. Successful applicants will have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average.
3) An applicant must be enrolled for at least 10 credit hours during the Spring semester (i.e., student must be enrolled during the semester of application), and an applicant is expected to take an appropriate full-course load (6-9 hours) during the summer study abroad experience.
4) An applicant must be enrolled in a UGA-approved study abroad program.
PLEASE PRINT AND DELIVER BY HAND TO THE OFFICE OF THE DEAN, 316 OLD COLLEGE (third floor)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 5:00 pm FRIDAY 7 FEBRUARY 2020
THE FOLLOWING ARE ITEMS REQUIRED IN JUST ONE COMPLETE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PACKET
We only need one complete copy of the following documents, even if you are completing both scholarship applications.
1) SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION(s) please complete the applicable scholarship form(s) located at the links here in this section. If you have trouble accessing these PDF forms, you can request them by sending an email to email@example.com. These forms are fillable PDFs, so you should be able to complete them on your computer and print them for inclusion in your packet.
HERE ARE THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORMS
Click here to download the 2020 CRAIGE GLOBAL FELLOWS SCHOLARSHIP application.
This award is only available to undergraduate students participating in an official UGA study abroad program in a non-English speaking environment.
Click here to download the 2020 TOME and SHERMAN SCHOLARSHIPS application.
2) SCHOLARSHIPS ESSAY that outlines your educational, personal, and professional goals and explains, in turn, how these connect to your plans for study abroad. Please print to paper one copy of this 1-2 page essay.
3) LETTER of RECOMMENDATION attesting to your academic qualifications and personal attributes. Ask your evaluator to explain how s/he knows you and how long s/he had an opportunity to observe your academic and personal accomplishments. For best results, you should seek a letter from a professor or instructor who has taught you an advanced or challenging subject. If you choose a recommender who is not university faculty, s/he should speak to extra-curricular or work activities that are highly relevant to your major or other professional goals. A letter from a relative is not appropriate.
This letter should be given to you inside an envelope that is sealed by the person recommending you.
4) COPY OF LETTER or EMAIL from the PROGRAM DIRECTOR or STAFF indicating that you have been accepted. If a program’s acceptances have not yet been announced, a letter or printout from the program director or program staff should confirm that you have applied and acknowledge that you are currently being considered.
Either a letter or a printout of an acceptance email from the program is acceptable; this does not need to be sealed.
Contact Karen Coker at firstname.lastname@example.org