The Franklin College Office of Student Academic Services provides information about the academic requirements and resources of the Franklin College, the University of Georgia, and the University System of Georgia. They foster an environment of trust, responsibility and discovery while encouraging students to develop an appreciation for the enduring value of the liberal arts experience. In the metaphor we often use to liken UGA to a city, complete with all the services required, the SAS office keeps our students informed and on track for graduation.
Early September is the time when students begin to make appointments and plan for scheduling the Spring and Summer semesters, so our academic advisors shared some advice and resources about helping our students reach their academic goals.
What Advisors Do
- Help students articulate and refine what they want and why
- Assist in planning a program of study consistent with a student’s interests, abilities, and talents
- Provide accurate information regarding UGA policies, procedures, regulations, and the culture of higher education at UGA
- Assist in finding alternatives to educational goals when necessary
- Refer students to institutional and/or community resources, programs, and support services
- Assist with academic difficulties students might encounter
- Ask students questions and address their questions
- UGA Bulletin: All course descriptions, all major requirements, all UGA requirements and policies (http://bulletin.uga.edu)
- Degreeworks (“Audit”): A personal checklist for YOUR specific degree program (http://degreeworks.uga.edu)
- Degreeworks (“Plan”): Your personal advising plan – the list of course options discussed by you and your advisor, for you to take in upcoming semesters. Both your advisor AND you can create Degreeworks plans (http://degreeworks.uga.edu and click on the “Plans” tab).
- SAGE: Find out who your advisor is, make appointments with them, and see their email and walk-in hours. Also find out how to contact helpful offices on campus (http://sage.uga.edu).
Other Important Reminders
- Use UGA Email: Advisors and other university officials cannot look up any information on you unless you email from your UGA account.
- Include 811: Include your student ID number in every email. This makes it much easier for us to research your questions.
- Show for your appointment: Please do not make an advising appointment and not show up for it, or cancel the same day. Advisors have 300 students to see, and that empty spot represents a spot another student could have taken.
- We like you! We would not be advisors if we did not like working with a wide variety of students. Do not be afraid of advisors; they want to help you!
There you have it, Franklin students. Visit sage.uga.edu, make your appointment and don't forget to keep it. For a brush up, there's also a handy video to get you started.